Configuration Management is typically a practice which is highly ignored in many IT Departments. This is more so when IT is not the main purpose of the Business of the Organisation. It is often felt that investing in Configuration Management does not make enough Business Sense. However, when evaluated carefully, a good Configuration Management Department can offer the following benefits.
- Helps in increasing the VELOCITY OF THE IT DEPARTMENT. This directly help in reducing TIME TO MARKET for the Business.
- Helps in higher reliability of the products deployed in the Production System. This helps in better quality of the IT products which increases the Customer Satisfaction Index.
- Helps cut downtime due to misbehaviour of a product in Production System by helping in restoring a good version of the software till the error has been fixed and tested. This can help reduce Product Failure Rate in the Market and thus increasing Revenue Potential besides increasing Customer Satisfaction.
- Helps optimise the internal working of the IT Department and this the IT Management can make best use of the available resources.
- By default, Configuration Management Department provides for security from loss of essential solution part and/or the IT Department from being held at ransom by its experts.
There are many more benefits.
Presented below is a formula for setting up and managing a Configuration Management Department.